Come and enjoy a friendly, informal and fun wine tasting day in a beautiful Cambridge college.
Starting with Champagne, we'll taste and learn about wines from all over the world (no previous experience needed) and a delicious two-course lunch is included.
We'll be hosted in a stunning and beautiful college founded in 1882 set amidst 7 acres of beautiful grounds. Selwyn was one of the first all-male Cambridge University colleges to admit women.
Actors Hugh Laurie and Tom Hollander studied at Selwyn as well as some prominent MPs, writers and leading scientists. We'll be hosted in the spacious wood-panelled Harrison room.
Plus - watch and learn how to open a bottle of Champagne using a sword!
- Start with Champagne
- Introduction to the Worlds major wine regions
- New World Wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, California)
- Old World Classics (France, Italy, & Spain)
- Major Red Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Tempranillo & others
- Major White Grape Varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, & others
- How wine is made - grapes, fermentation and ageing
- Improve your tasting and senses
- How to taste wine like a professional – aroma, flavours, describing wines
- Recognising elements of wine - tannin, acidity, body, oak
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy, where to obtain the best value for money, storing & serving wine, understanding wine labels
- Tutored Tasting of 13 wines
- Food & Wine matching tips & advice
Halfway through the day we will take a break from the hard work of tasting wine to enjoy a delicious two-course lunch followed by a mini tour of the college to appreciate its history.
All our courses can be purchased as a Gift either as a dated or undated voucher.
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'