Join us for a friendly and informal day of tasting and learning about wine at Madingley Hall. Part of the University of Cambridge, the 16th-century hall is set in 8 acres of beautiful parkland.
The hall was once rented by Queen Victoria for her son Edward Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) to reside while he studied at Cambridge.
Our day is hosted in a beautiful room with French doors opening onto the terrace. Starting with Champagne we'll taste and learn about wines from all over the world (no previous experience needed).
Halfway through the day we will take a break from the hard work of tasting wine to enjoy a delicious two-course lunch and offer a mini tour of the grounds to appreciate the history.
Watch and learn how to open a bottle of Champagne using a sword!
Madingley Hall is just a 15-minute taxi ride from Cambridge rail station or you can park in the grounds. You can also book in advance to say overnight in double rooms from £99 bed and breakfast (special 10% discount to wine school guests - email us asking for the code after you have booked).
- Start with Champagne
- Introduction to the Worlds major wine regions
- New World Wines (Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, California)
- Old World Classics (France, Italy, & Spain)
- Major Red Grape Varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Tempranillo & others
- Major White Grape Varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, & others
- How wine is made - grapes, fermentation and ageing
- Improve your tasting and senses
- How to taste wine like a professional – aroma, flavours, describing wines
- Recognising elements of wine - tannin, acidity, body, oak
- The effect of climate on the taste of wine
- Which wines to buy, where to obtain the best value for money, storing & serving wine, understanding wine labels
- Tutored Tasting of 13 wines
- Food & Wine matching tips & advice
All our courses can be purchased as a Gift either as a dated or undated voucher.
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'