Discover English Wines at this fun and informal tasting day! The wine industry in England is now winning global awards, and we'll discover fabulous wines made in and around the local Cambridge area. Discover new favourites!
We'll begin with the celebrated success of English Sparkling Wine before moving to taste and learn about a wide range of delicious still wines that are making waves and winning awards. We'll cover some of the strange-sounding grapes you've never heard of as well as English versions of grapes you have.
It is thanks to improved techniques in the vineyards, good site selection and the impact of global warming that there is now a full range of wine styles being made in England - from sparkling wines, white, red and rosé wines and even dessert wine!
Madingley Hall was once rented by Queen Victoria for her son Edward Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) to reside while he studied at Cambridge.
Our day is hosted in a beautiful room with French doors opening onto the terrace. Halfway through the day we will take a break from the hard work of tasting wine to enjoy a delicious two-course lunch and offer a mini tour of the grounds to appreciate the history.
Watch and learn how to open a bottle of sparkling wine using a sword!
Madingley Hall is just a 15-minute taxi ride from Cambridge rail station or you can park in the grounds. You can also book in advance to say overnight in double rooms from £99 bed and breakfast (special 10% discount to wine school guests - email us asking for the code after you have booked).
- Compare two different English sparkling wines made locally
- Taste different Bacchus wines made in nearby vineyards looking for which best suits your taste preferences
- Understand the importance of good vineyard selection for the English climate
- Discover new grape varieties like Ortega and Siskin
- Learn what to expect from English versions of grapes you already know (such as Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio)
- Other grape varieties suitable for English red wine
- Tutored Tasting through 13 wines
- Food & Wine matching tips relevant to English wines
Halfway through the day we will take a break from the hard work of tasting wine to enjoy a delicious two-course lunch followed by a mini tour of the college grounds to appreciate its history.
All our courses can be purchased as a Gift either as a dated or undated voucher.
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'