The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines is the ideal starting point for anybody new to wine or those beginning a career in wine or hospitality. It lays the foundation for understanding wine, giving you confidence for food and wine pairing and an introduction to different wine styles.
What the course covers:
- The basic skills and product knowledge required for the service and retail of wine
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to make food and wine pairings
- How to store and serve wine
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
We recommend you read the course specification document before you sign up for the course.
- This course is an online weekday evening format, delivered over 4 consecutive Thursday evenings from 7pm to 9pm
- The Level 1 Award in Wines online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course and is delivered in LIVE virtual lessons by one of our certified wine educators
- The course includes 8 hours online tuition in 4 x 2hr sessions
- Your tutor will provide a guided tasting of 8 wines with you on this course, the cost of the wines, delivered to you, is included in the price of the course
- You will receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course
- You will be sent details of how to join your LIVE sessions when you book
Please note a reliable broadband connection is essential for the completion of this online course as is basic computer skills.
To obtain the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. You must answer at least 70% correctly to pass the exam.
The exam is taken online via a Remote Invigilation service or on a selected date at our in-person classroom course at the Radisson Blu in central Leeds. We will liaise with you to find out which option would be most convenient; either option is covered in the price of the course.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
Registration Deadline: Tues 30th March 2021
We may be able to accommodate you after this deadline, please contact us directly if you wish to register late.
Sessions: 7pm to 9pm
· Thurs 8th April 2021
· Thurs 15th April 2021
· Thurs 22nd April 2021
· Thurs 29th April 2021
The course fee of £275 includes:
- Course study guide, posted to you at no extra charge
- LIVE virtual, interactive sessions taught by Laura
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions
- WSET's Remote Invigilation service *Please note there are some minimum system requirements (contact us for more information)/or in-person exam options
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the exam
Your course fee includes delivery of 8 bottles of wine, specially selected by Laura, to taste along with throughout your course. You’ll be sent-
New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
½ bottle of Chablis
½ bottle of Sauternes
New Zealand Pinot Noir
½ bottle of Rioja Crianza
Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon
If ordered online, individually, this case would cost £102.50, we have obtained a special discounted rate as we buy it in bulk, the cost of the wine is included in the course cost. We’ll arrange for it to be shipped to you in the week before your course begins.
Special Educational Needs:
Please make the school aware when booking if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia