The French Wine Scholar (FWS) study and certification program is geared for members of the wine trade and avid French wine enthusiasts. It is endorsed by the National French Wine Office and successful candidates are conferred the French Wine Scholar title (FWS) and encouraged to use the FWS post-nominal as part of their professional signatures. They will also receive the French Wine Scholar certificate and lapel pin.
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE FWS COURSE?
- FWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of France.
- FWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 as an ideal supplement
- FWS is also ideal for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the French wine industry
No previous experience of Wine Tasting is necessary to register on this course but we strongly recommend that you have a passion for, or interest in, French wine; that will be more important!
Saturday 23rd and 30th September, 7th, 14th and 21st October
- The French Wine Scholar curriculum is comprised of 4 weekend classes over consecutive weeks, with a revision session and the exam taking place on the 5th week.
- All students receive a study book (please see an excerpt below) as well as access to the fantastic course E-Learning Modules
- An average of 14-16 wines will be tasted per class with some matching with typical regional cheeses and meats
Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines from key French regions
Regional Food and Wine Matching: An informal guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine
Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve key French wines
Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from ALL the French grape varieties
Regions: Full immersion in ALL the French wine regions; Alsace, Champagne, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, Languedoc-Roussillon, Rhone, Southwest, Provence and Corsica
Number of Wines Tasted: 60+ wines will be tasted as part of the course
Study Materials: Students will receive the French Wine Scholar Study Manual, a comprehensive guide to ALL French wine
Additional Materials: Students will have access to a complete E-Learning Package. There are 20 multimedia modules with webinars on regional wine styles, review quizzes, forums, downloadable maps & etc.
Duration of course: 5 days, spread as one day a week, inclusive of examination on the 5th day. Days will last from 10.30 am to 5.30 pm
Examination: 100 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes. A mark of 75% required to pass
Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.