The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wines is an ideal starting point for anyone who is considering embarking on a professional career in the drinks industry or those with no prior or little experience of wine tasting who are curious to learn more. It is an enjoyable, relaxed and interactive course which is completed in a single day, including the exam, making it easy to fit in with busy working schedules.
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from Ofqual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification. To view the full course specification please click HERE.
What the course covers:
- Wine Tasting : Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine : Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines : White: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted : minimum 6 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive the Foundation Certificate Study Guide
- Duration of course : 1 day inclusive of examination
- Modes of Study : Day Release
- Examination : 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
The Fee of £150 includes:
- WSET study book, (provided on the day)
- A minimum of 6 wine samples to taste during the day
- The use of professional ISO tasting glasses
- Food & wine matching
- Professional WSET tuition by WSET-Certified Tutor
- Registration with WSET and all examination fees
- An internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate
Please Note: Bookings for this course must be received no later than 2 weeks before the course Late booking may be possible subject to availability and WSET late registration fee.