At Level 2, you'll gain loads of knowledge and confidence about wine. You'll learn about the important grape varieties from around the world, and how where they grow, and decisions the winemaker makes in the winery, makes every wine taste different. You'll learn how to judge the quality of the wines you buy and will soon be talking about and recommending wine so confidently that everyone will want to taste with you!
What the course covers:
- Wine tasting: you'll learn how to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and wine pairing: you'll understand the principles of food and wine pairing.
- Wine service and storage: know the correct way to store and serve wine, plus spot common faults found in wine.
- Labelling: learn how to decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the style of wine: explore how natural factors in the vineyard and maturation options influence the style and quality of the wines made all over the world.
- Grape varieties: you'll learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international red and white grape varieties (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Syrah/Shiraz) as well as the styles of wines made from 22 regionally important grape varieties grown in 70 wine regions (GI's) around the world.
- Sparkling and fortified wines: you will be taught how grape varieties and winemaking processes influence the style of wines in these two key wine categories.
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification
No prior wine knowledge is required, however the course builds upon the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines which may be more suitable for those completely new to wine. We recommend you read the course specification document before you sign up for the course. You can read this document by clicking here.
The Level 2 Award in Wines course covers the same syllabus as the online course and is delivered in person by one of our certified wine educators.
Candidates will receive a complete WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course study pack, comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions and blank forms for your own tasting notes), course specification and laminated 'Systematic Approach to Tasting' card.
The course includes 16 hours tuition and we recommend a minimum of 12 hours additional study.
Your tutor will taste at least 34 wines with you through the course.
You will receive free access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course.
To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. A mark of 55% is required to pass.
This is a classroom course, over 3 consecutive weekends.
Sat 2nd Mar, Session 1 - Tasting Technique and Wine Production
Sat 9th Mar, Session 2 – Focus on Grape Varieties
Sat 16th Mar, Session 3 - Sparkling & Fortified Wines plus Exam (1-hour)
The course fee includes:
- All WSET course materials - including 'Wines: Looking Behind the Label' course manual, study guide and SAT tasting card
- x3 classroom sessions taught by one of our brilliant WSET-certified tutors
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions - free of charge
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification, certificate and lapel pin for those who pass the exam
- Exam fees. The exam is in person at East London Wine School on the final day
Special Educational Needs:
Please make the school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam, eg dyslexia.
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'