This qualification aims to provide the basic product knowledge and skills in the service of spirits to help prepare a person for jobs in hospitality or in other sectors of the spirits industry. This course will also appeal to the interested spirits consumer.
You will gain a deeper understanding of Distillation, Vodka, Whisky, Gin, Liqueur, Cognac, Tequila and Rum and how they are made, how to market and serve them and how to taste like a professional!
What the course includes:-
- 3 Interactive Live sessions with a WSET Educator via Zoom
- Access to recorded sessions if you miss one.
- Course Resource Book
- Online Spirits exam - 30 question multiple choice.
The exam is taken online, at a date and time of your choosing. Please be aware we need 15 working days’ notice to book your exam.
Click here to check device requirements to be able to take the exam online, and ask to see certain excluded examination days.
Successful students will receive a WSET Level 1 Award in Spirits certificate and lapel pin.
We recommend that you purchase up to 8 spirits (available from justminiatures.co.uk) to support the course learning. This is recommended but not compulsory. Please speak to your wine school for more details.
Session 1 Tuesday 8th June 6pm -8pm
Session 2 Tuesday 15th June 6pm - 7.30pm
Session 3 Tuesday 22nd June 6pm - 7.30pm
- The main categories of spirits
- Learn all about Whisky, Gin, Rum, Cognac, Tequila, Vodka and Liqueurs! - How are they made? Why are some so much more expensive than others?
- Process of distillation
- Factors affecting the flavour of spirit
- The WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits
- Service and sales of spirits
To gain the qualification students need to successfully pass a multiple choice paper of 30 questions which can be taken online as part of the price of your course.
To view the course specification click here
To register for this course please book by 1st June 2021. To book after this date please contact the wine school before booking to ensure we can accommodate you.
Special Educational Needs:
Please make the school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.