This beginner to intermediate level qualification course provides a fantastic and structured exploration into the world of wines and is suitable for both industry professionals and wine enthusiasts alike. Individuals on this course will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce around the world. Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered ONLINE over seven weeks with a minimum of 36 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
The Level 2 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that the exam can be completed in-person at West London Wine School or online - CLICK HERE FOR THE REQUIREMENTS TO DO THIS EXAM ONLINE. Please note that the course fee includes the exam in either format.
What’s Covered on the Course:
Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
- Pinot Grigio/Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
This course is ideal for complete beginners - no prior knowledge is required and you don't have to have completed any other qualification to enrol. If you are completely new to the world of wine, you may wish to study the Level 1 Award in Wines first, but this is not essential.
The course is delivered online and in English therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required.
A course study pack will be posted to you upon booking for this course (your preferred postal address will be confirmed before materials are posted out). It is highly recommended that the relevant chapters within the course textbook are read prior to each live classroom session.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Wednesday 13th April 2022 at 4pm: Registration Deadline (Please note that delivery kit cannot be guaranteed ahead of the first lesson for any bookings received within 4 working days of 1st class)
- Wednesday 13th April 2022 at 7:30pm – 9:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Wednesday 20th April 2022 at 7:30pm – 9:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Wednesday 27th April 2022 at 7:30pm - 9:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Wednesday 4th May 2022 at 7:30pm – 9:30pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Wednesday 11th May 2022 at 7:30pm – 9:30pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Wednesday 18th May 2022 at 7:30pm - 9:30pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Wednesday 25th May 2022 at 7:30pm - 9:30pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Exam: To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an exam (either in-person or online) that is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. You must answer at least 55% correctly to pass the exam. The cost of sitting the exam either online or in-person is INCLUDED in the course fee.
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
WHAT IF I CAN'T ATTEND A LIVE SESSION?
Don't worry! All live sessions are recorded and you will be able to access recordings of each session securely via the E-Learning Wine portal. This means that you can catch up on any lesson at any time.
- The course will have 7 LIVE virtual taught lessons with a West London Wine School tutor. These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule. These live sessions allow our tutors to present, explain and review the course content in the same way as they would in an actual classroom lessons, with the added bonus of being able to utilise tools such as digital, real-time quizzes and Google Earth integration to further enhance student learning. Students can also engage with the tutor and ask questions throughout each 'live' class session.
- After each lesson, students are invited to a video zoom session with their course tutor and all other course participants. The zoom sessions are not mandatory, but provide an additional fun and relaxed way for students to further discuss the lesson topics with their tutors as well as catch-up with their classmates more socially.
- Enrolled students will receive access to West London Wine School Founder and Chief Educator Jimmy Smith’s Online Revision Portal: E-Learning Wine. This portal contains hundreds of multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course as well as other revision tools such as flashcards, short written exercises and useful videos.
- Students will need to select a date to attend the course exam in-person at West London Wine School. All students will be provided a full list of possible exam dates to choose from with both online and in-person date options.
The Course Fee of £450 Includes:
- Tasting kit containing 50ml samples of each wine tasted on the course (38 in total). For more information about the tasting kits, please see below.
- Course study guide (students can choose to either receive a physical booklet in the post or a digital copy accessible online)
- Access to 'LIVE' virtual taught lessons taught by a West London Wine School WSET Certified Tutor (and access to the recordings of each of these lessons)
- Exclusive access to Jimmy Smith’s ‘E-Learning Wine’ online revision platform
- Professional WSET tuition
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
For this course, students will receive a tasting kit with 50ml samples of the 38 wines tasted throughout the duration of this course. These tasting kits will be delivered in two segments – the 1st during the week leading up to the start of the course (provided the course booking is made at least 3 working days’ prior to the course start date), and the 2nd after the 3rd lesson of the course.
- Tasting kit delivery can be made to anywhere within the UK. If you are interested in receiving the tasting kit, however the delivery address is not within the UK, please get in touch BEFORE booking as depending where you are located, we may be able to still arrange delivery for an additional fee.
- If you do NOT want to receive a tasting kit, and just want to book onto the course without receiving wine samples – NO PROBLEM! Please just enter the code WSETL2REG as a ‘Promotional Code’ upon checking out, and the tasting kit associated fees on this course will be removed before you make course payment.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.