Enrol in the first-of-its kind California wine certification and education program, Capstone California, with West London Wine School!
The Capstone California program offers four levels of study, from novice to expert. Each builds on the level prior, and covers history, lore, geography, climate, soils, grapes, viticulture, vinification, ageing and maturation, wine laws, official classifications, producers, vintages and the business of wine.
Capstone California Course - Level 2
The Intermediate Level 2 course builds on Level 1 with 20 hours of curriculum and an additional tasting component of at least 28 Californian wines. For theory, students will cover important events in California's wine history timeline and identify key figures who helped shaped the state’s wine industry.
PLEASE NOTE: You must complete Capstone California Level 1 before progressing to Level 2. All of our upcoming Capstone California courses can be found HERE.
The course will be held over 2 days:
- Saturday 30th November 2024 10:30am - 3:30pm
- Saturday 7th December 2024 10:30am - 3:00pm
Level 2 candidates will:
- Taste at least 28 Californian wines
- Learn about important geographical factors in major California regions such as rivers, dry creeks and important mountain ranges including the Coastal Range, Mayacamas Mountains, the Vaca Range and Santa Cruz Mountains.
- Take a deeper look at seven of California’s key grape varieties by exploring the growing regions where they are grown and their distinctive taste profiles.
- Build understanding about the annual life cycle of the vine and related terms including: flowering, bud break, véraison, trellising, pruning, green harvest, harvest timing and more.
- Learn winemaking fundamentals and explore cooperage variations (French vs. American vs. other European oak) and how wine style is affected by oak selection.
- Delve deeper into historic AVAs in Lodi and the Sacramento Delta, Mendocino County, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo County, Monterey County and Santa Cruz Mountains.
- Gain access to the full online course modules
- Upon successful completion of an exam (which you are able to take online in your own time after attending the course), you will receive access to a Capstone California wine certificate.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
West London Wine School is an exclusive partner of Capstone California in the UK and has adapted their previous online modular format qualifications to offer these as exciting and comprehensive in-person or virtual courses including wine tastings.
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'