The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is ideal starting point for anyone who is considering embarking on a professional career in the drinks industry or those with no little or prior experience of wine tasting. It is an enjoyable, relaxed and interactive course which is completed in a single day, including the exam, making it easy to fit in with busy working schedules. WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1?
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is intended to establish the basic skills and product knowledge required in the service and retail of wine; it is ideal for preparing a person for their first job in hospitality or retail.
This course is also a great introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to study in a structured way: the qualification will cover skills such as identifying wine styles, practice of storing and serving wine, and food and wine matching.
No previous experience of Wine Tasting is necessary to register on this course.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching: A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility: A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine: Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Pinot Grigio
- Main black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named White Wines: Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Named Red Wines: Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted: at least 9 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials: Students will receive the WSET Level 1 Award in Wine Study Guide
- Course Specification: Those who wish to review the course specification in preparation for the course can view it by clicking on the book above
- Duration of course: 1 day inclusive of examination
- Examination: 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Special Educational Needs: Please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT receipts are available on request- simply email us after your purchase if you require this.