WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE FWS COURSE?
- FWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of France.
- FWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 as an ideal supplement
- FWS is also ideal for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the French wine industry
West London Wine School was awarded the French Wine Scholar Programme Provider of the Year in 2017!
- The French Wine Scholar curriculum is comprised of eight ONLINE 2 1/2 hour classes held on the same evening over consecutive weeks.
- All students receive a study manual as well as access to the fantastic course E-Learning Modules.
- There is an additional ninth evening on which is the examination occurs. (Note: the exam in held IN-PERSON at West London Wine School)
- A minimum of 6 wines will be tasted per class (note: Champagne evening will have a slightly different tasting format, please see below). All wine samples tasted on the course will be delivered to students. More details about the course tasting kit can be found below.
This course's taught lessons are delivered ONLINE over eight weeks. Regular internet access is essential to join the live lessons.
PLEASE NOTE: The course fee includes a tasting kit of 50ml samples of all wines tasted on the course. Students are able to book onto the course without receiving wine samples for a reduced fee. Please read below for more information about course wine options.
Wine Scholar Guild Online Modules: Wine Scholar Guild provides access to online support resources for each of their courses which has a validity of 1 year and they provide us with these login details for each course to share with our students. Please note that, after 1 year, free access to the online modules will expire.
The French Wine Scholar Online Course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course.
Please note that the exam is completed in-person and not online. The course fee includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Monday 14th October 2024 at 4pm: Registration Deadline*
- Monday 14th October 2024 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session - Introduction, Fundamentals and Alsace
- Monday 21st October 2024 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session - Champagne
- Monday 28th October 2024 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session - Bourgogne
- Monday 4th November 2024 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session - Beaujolais, Jura and Savoie
- Monday 11th November 2024 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session - The Loire
- Monday 18th November 2024 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session - Bordeaux and South-West France
- Monday 25th November 2024 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session - Rhone and Provence
- Monday 2nd December 2024 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 8th LIVE virtual classroom session - Languedoc, Roussillon and Corsica
- Monday 9th December 2024: NO CLASS (Break before exam)
- Monday 16th December 2024 from 7:00pm: In-Person Exam
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
- *If you book onto the course within two working days of the course start date, we will do our best to get you the course materials in time for your first lesson, however we cannot guarantee they will arrive to you by the first class. Even if booking close to the course start date, you will still receive all tasting samples and can revisit the recorded course lesson at anytime to catch up on the tasting component of the first lesson.
WHAT IF I CAN'T ATTEND A LIVE SESSION?
Don't worry! All live sessions are recorded and you will be able to access recordings of each session. This means that you can catch up on any lesson at any time.
For this course, students will receive a tasting kits with 50ml samples of the wines tasted throughout the duration of this course. These tasting kits will be delivered weekly. Note that the Champagne lesson will include 1x larger sample as well as other rare still key styles.
- Tasting kit deliveries can be made to anywhere within the UK.
- If you do NOT want to receive a tasting kit, and just want to book onto the course without receiving wine samples – NO PROBLEM! Please just enter the code SCHOLARFWSREG as a ‘Promotional Code’ upon checking out, and the tasting kit associated fees on this course will be removed before you make course payment. Course fee without wine samples is £625.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines from key French regions
- Regional Food and Wine Matching: An informal guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve key French wines
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from ALL the French grape varieties
- Regions: Full immersion in ALL the French wine regions; Alsace, Champagne, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, Languedoc-Roussillon, Rhone, Southwest, Provence and Corsica
- Study Materials: Students will receive the French Wine Scholar Study Manual, a comprehensive guide to ALL French wine and 50ml samples of all course wines
- Additional Materials: Students will have access to a complete E-Learning Package. There are 20 multimedia modules with webinars on regional wine styles, review quizzes, forums, downloadable maps & etc.
- Duration of course: 8 evenings of taught lessons. Online lessons will last from 7pm until 9:30pm
- Examination: 100 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes. A mark of 75% required to pass. NOTE: The exam occurs IN-PERSON at West London Wine School.
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
The French Wine Scholar (FWS) study and certification program is geared for members of the wine trade and avid French wine enthusiasts. Wine sample tasting kits INCLUDED in the course fee!