This programme was created by native Italian, Maurizio Broggi, DWS, FWS with the support of the Italian wine DOC/G consortia. The Italian Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French Wine Scholar™ program. Like the French Wine Scholar program, the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program also confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exams (Ex: John Smith, IWS).
The Italian Wine Scholar course is composed of two separate units:
- Unit 1: The Wines of Northern Italy
- Unit 2: The Wines of Central & Southern Italy
- There will be two separate study manuals and two separate exams. The Italian Wine Scholar™ credential/pin is based on the final composite score (Unit 1 & 2). This format makes it much easier to retain information and to pass the exam. Students register for each unit separately.
IMPORTANT: You do not need to attend Unit 1 before attending Unit 2 - these course units can be completed in any order.
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE IWS COURSE?
- IWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of Italy.
- IWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 Diploma as an ideal supplement
- IWS is also ideal for sommeliers, importers and distributors and for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the Italian wine industry
- The Italian Wine Scholar curriculum is comprised of seven x 2.5 hour classes (Total 20 Hours) usually on consecutive Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays
- The exam is sat on the eight evening
- A minimum of 7 wines will be tasted per class
The course fee includes:
- A comprehensive study manual which also serves as reference book
- Learning objectives for each region
- Interactive online study modules for each region (link)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Pronunciation exercises
- Access to live and recorded review webinars with Maurizio Broggi, Education Director for Italy
- Professional tuition by Wine Scholar Guild certified tutor
- Examination fees
- Internationally-recognised qualification certificate and pin for those who pass.
This is Part 1 of the Tuscany unit of the Wine Scholar Guild programme. Join us as we explore this iconic wine region in great depths. Perfect for WSET Diploma, WSET Level 3 and/or Italian wine enthusiasts.