This programme was created by native Italian, Maurizio Broggi, DWS, FWS with the support of the Italian wine DOC/G consortia. The Italian Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French Wine Scholar™ program. Like the French Wine Scholar program, the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program also confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exams (Ex: John Smith, IWS).
The Italian Wine Scholar course is composed of two separate units:
- Unit 1: The Wines of Northern Italy
- Unit 2: The Wines of Central & Southern Italy
- There will be two separate study manuals and two separate exams. The Italian Wine Scholar™ credential/pin is based on the final composite score (Unit 1&2). This format makes it much easier to retain information and to pass the exam. Students register for each unit separately.
West London Wine School's Chief Tutor Jimmy Smith was awarded the Italian Wine Scholar Educator of Year for 2018! Read Jimmy's interview with the Wine Scholar Guild in recognition of this award here.
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE IWS COURSE?
- IWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of Italy.
- IWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 Diploma as an ideal supplement
- IWS is also ideal for sommeliers, importers and distributors and for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the Italian wine industry
- The Italian Wine Scholar curriculum is comprised of seven x 2.5 hour classes (Total 20 Hours) usually on consecutive Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays
- There is an additional eighth lesson which is the examination evening
- A minimum of 8 wines will be tasted per class
The course fee includes:
- A comprehensive study manual which also serves as reference book
- Learning objectives for each region
- Interactive online study modules for each region (link)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Pronunciation exercises
- Access to live and recorded review webinars with Maurizio Broggi, Education Director for Italy
- Professional tuition by Wine Scholar Guild certified tutor
- Examination fees
- Internationally-recognised qualification certificate and pin for those who pass.