The 8 x 2-hour online sessions run from 6.30 - 8.30 pm on Mondays each week, over 8 weeks.
- Wednesdays: 12th, 19th & 26th April, 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th and 31st May 2023.
The deadline for registration is Tuesday 6th April.
If you can't make all sessions, they are recorded and can be watched back at a time convenient for you.
This beginner to intermediate-level qualification course provides a structured exploration of the world of wine and is suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts. Individuals on this course will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce. Through a combination of tasting and theory, candidates will explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe wines with confidence.
What the course covers:
- Wine tasting: You will learn how to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and wine pairing: You will learn the principles of food and wine pairing
- Wine service and storage: You will learn the correct way to store and serve wine and how to recognise common faults found in wine
- Labelling: You will learn how to decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the style of wine: You will explore how environmental factors, grape-growing, vineyard, and maturation options influence the style and quality of the wines made all over the world
- Grape varieties: You'll learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international red and white grape varieties (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, and Syrah/Shiraz) as well as the styles of wines made with 22 regionally important grape varieties grown in 70 wine regions (GI's) around the world
- Sparkling and Fortified wines: You will be taught how grape varieties and winemaking processes influence the style of wines in these two key wine categories
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification
No prior wine knowledge is required however the course builds upon the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines which may be more suitable for those completely new to wine. We recommend you read the course specification document before you sign up for the course. You can read this document by clicking here.
This is an online Zoom evening course, on a weekday evening.
- The Level 2 Award in Wines online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course and is delivered in LIVE virtual lessons by one of our certified wine educators
- Candidates will receive a complete WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course study pack, comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes), course specification and laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- The course includes 16 hours of online tuition (8 x 2-hour sessions) and we recommend a minimum of 12 hours of additional study
- Your tutor will taste 12 wines with you on the course (for details on how to order the wines for your course see below)
- You will receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course
- You will be sent details of how to join your LIVE sessions when you book
Please note a reliable broadband connection is essential for the completion of this online course as are basic computer skills.
- To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. A mark of 55% is required to pass the exam.
- The exam may be taken at Thames Valley Wine School in class. Dates to be agreed. We can offer an online exam for an additional £35.
The course fee of £330 includes:
- All WSET course materials are posted to you at no extra charge including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification, and SAT Tasting Card
- 8 x LIVE virtual, interactive sessions taught by a Local Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions FREE OF CHARGE
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification, certificate, and pin for those who pass the exam
- The exam fee. The exam may be taken at Thames Valley Wine School in class. Dates to be agreed upon. We can offer an online exam for an additional £35 - Click here for more details.
It is recommended that 12 wines are tasted as part of this course, although this is optional and not essential to complete the course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the course fee above.
Our wine experts have specially selected wines for this course designed to demonstrate specific learning outcomes. We have negotiated a specially discounted price only available to our online students.
The case of 12 wines costs approx £132 including delivery to the mainland UK. Details of how to order your case of wines will be provided 10 days prior to your course starting.
Special Educational Needs:
Please make the school aware if you have a condition that may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.