The WSET Level 2 Wine award course is suitable for anybody who has a serious interest in wine, and wishes to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. Students will receive a course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world - illustrated with detailed maps & label explanations), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated tasting card.
The course is also appropriate for those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine, and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to Level 3.
We recommend that you read the course synopsis before you book the course. You can read it here
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching: A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Labelling: Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine: Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
Number of Wines Tasted: Around 30 wines will be tasted as part of the course
Study Materials: Students will receive a WSET Level 2 course study pack, consisting of the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world - illustrated with detailed maps & label explanations), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated tasting card.
Duration of course: 16 hours (3 full days ) plus 1 hour examination
Recommended Private Study: 16 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course.
Examination : 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass. Exam held at 4pm on last day of course.
Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
This Level 2 course will be held on 3 Saturdays, from 9.30am to 4.00pm
Regustration closes October 14th 2023
Course dates are; 28th October, 4th and 11th November
The Fee of £500 includes
Course book & study guide. (These are posted when you you book)
Around 30 wines including Champagne & Ports to be tasted
Three days of professional WSET tuition by WSET Certified tutor
Examination fees / internationally-recognised certificate
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'