This course is designed for people who prefer to learn in a fun but structured way finishing with a short multiple-choice exam.
Level 1 is very suitable for
- those interested in learning the basics out of personal interest
- anyone considering embarking on a professional career in the drinks or hospitality industry
The course is completed in a single day (10am-5pm) including the multiple-choice exam, making it easy to fit in with busy working schedules.
What the course covers
- What is wine and how is it made
- Key wine styles - still, sparkling fortified
- Wine types - dry, medium, sweet, body, tannin
- 8 principal grape varieties - Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah
- Examples of named wines - eg Cava, Sancerre, Chablis, Chateauneuf du Pape, Chianti and more
- Serving and storing wine
- Food and wine pairing
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
We recommend you read the course specification document before you book the course (read it by clicking here).
Please book your place one week before the course date to allow enough time to register you for the exam. It may be possible to accommodate you after this date as a late booking, but you should call first on 01223 655391 to see if this is possible.
Please bring a photo ID with you on the day (this is a requirement for sitting the exam). A passport or driving licence is best.
The course fee includes
- study book
- 7 wines to taste
- food & wine matching activities
- professional WSET tuition by WSET-Certified Tutor
- examination fees
- internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass
Special Educational Needs
Please make the school aware if you have a condition qualifying you for additional help during the exam (such as dyslexia).
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'