- 5 reviews of Sussex Wine School, Brighton in Brighton
- Fridays 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th Sept 6th and 13th October.
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is an advanced level qualification for professionals working in the wine industry and for wine enthusiasts.
For individuals seeking to delve deeper into the world of wines, this qualification provides a detailed understanding of grape growing and wine making. Upon completion you will be able to assess wines accurately, and use your understanding to confidently explain wine style and quality. Upon successful completion you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
What you'll learn
The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
How these key factors influence the key characteristics of the principal still wines of the world, sparkling wines of the world and fortified wines of the world
How to apply your understanding to explain wine style and quality
How to taste wines, describe their characteristics and evaluate their quality, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT). If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products.
Examination: The examination is in two parts and takes place in the the final day of the course. The WSET Exam fee is included in the course cost.
- Theory paper: a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a four question short answer written section. 2 hours.
- Tasting: a blind tasting of two wines. A mark of 55% required in all sections to pass. 1 hour.
This qualification is regulated by Ofqual
It is recommended that you hold the WSET Level 2 Award or can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
Not sure exactly what is covered in the Level 3 in Wines Course? Click here to view the full Level 3 Course Specification (with Example Questions)
Friday Sessions - who are they designed for?
- These are ideal for trade professionals and wine enthusiasts
- There are three x two hour classroom sessions each day, starting at 9.30am and finishing at 4:30pm with an hour break for lunch
- There are 5 full day sessions (30 classroom hours) and an exam session, spread out over 6 weeks. The final exam day is 11am - 4pm
- WSET recommends at least 54 hours of home study in addition to the 30 hours of classroom sessions.
Course Outline (all Fridays)
- 8th Sept - Sessions 1,2,3 - Intro, tasting technique, natural and human factors with grape-growing & human factors with winemaking
- 15th Sept- Session 4,5,6 - Whites wines: Germany, Alsace, Austria, Tokaji, Burgundy, Loire, Bordeaux + Red / rose wines: Bordeaux, SW France, Loire
- 22nd Sept - Session 7,8,9 - Red wines: Burgundy, Wines of Rhone, S France, Spain, Portugal, Northern Italy
- 29th Sept - Session 10,11,12 - Central & S Italy, Portugese reds, Premium New World reds and whites + PRACTICE TASTING PAPER
- 6th Oct - Session 13,14,15 - Regional new world wines, Sparkling Wines, Fortified Wines + PRACTICE SHORT WRITTEN ANSWER QUESTION
- 13th Oct- Tasting and Theory Exam Session 9.30am - 1pm
What's included in the Course Fee?
- All WSET course materials including; 'Accounting For Style And Quality' course manual (comprehensive 250 page textbook), Study Guide and Full SAT Tasting Card
- All wine tasting samples (approx 60 to 70 wines)
- The use of professional ISO tasting glasses
- Professional WSET tuition by a WSET Certified tutor
- Teaching of the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine (SAT) ® which will enable you to analyse wines objectively and consistently in preparation for the tasting exam
- Weekly written exam technique sessions to ensure you are fully prepared for the exam
- Comprehensive student support by WSET certified educator outside of class time should you have any questions before, during and after the course
- Registration with WSET and all examination fees
- Internationally-recognised certificate and pin badge upon successful completion
- VAT at 20% (VAT receipt can be provided on request)
Flexible payment options are available on request. Please get in touch to discuss. Please note full payment is required before the course start date.
Book with confidence as out students consistently achieve higher pass rates than the global average.
Funding: Funding for this course is available:
DEVELOP is the educational programme of The Drinks Trust, the drinks and hospitality industry charity. DEVELOP offers fully funded training and skills courses, delivered by industry-leading providers for people already working, or with an ambition to work, in the drinks and hospitality industry. Manchester Wine SChool has partnered with The Drinks Trust to bring courses free of charge to eligible students. All of the WSET courses are available for funding with DEVELOP. To learn more please visit the Drinks Trust website HERE
Criteria of eligibility for DEVELOP funding: must be 18 or over, eligible to work in the UK, have a National Insurance Number, and be earning less than £26k/pa