The Italian Wine Scholar™ education program is an Italian wine course designed to provide committed students of wine with the most advanced and comprehensive specialization study program on Italian wine bar none! It was created by native Italian, Maurizio Broggi, DWS, FWS with the support of the Italian wine DOC/G consortia.
The Italian Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French Wine Scholar™ program. Like the French Wine Scholar program, the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program also confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exams (Ex: John Smith, IWS).
The Italian Wine Scholar course is composed of two separate units:
- Unit 1: The Wines of Northern Italy
- Unit 2: The Wines of Central & Southern Italy
- There will be two separate study manuals and two separate exams. The Italian Wine Scholar™ credential/pin is based on the final composite score (Unit 1&2).
This format makes it much easier to retain information and to pass the exam. Students register for each unit separately. You can sit the units in any order you wish.
Italian Wine Scholar Unit 2 course (Southern Italy) - Brighton
Course Dates (All Monday Evenings):
- 18th Sep: Toscana Part 1
- 25th Sep - No Class
- 2nd Oct - No Class
- 9th Oct: Toscana Part 2
- 16th Oct: Marche and Abruzzo
- 2 week study break
- 6th Nov: Umbria, Lazio and Molise
- 13th Nov: Campania
- 20th Nov: Puglia, Basilicata and Calabria
- 27th Nov: Sardegna
- 4th Dec: Sicilia
- 11th Dec: Exam (100 multiple choice, 1 hour exam at 7pm)
The Unit 2 fee includes:
- A comprehensive study manual which also serves as reference book
- Learning objectives for each region
- Interactive online study modules for each region (link)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Pronunciation exercises
- Access to live and recorded review webinars
- Professional classroom tuition by Wine Scholar Guild certified tutor
- 4-5 well chosen wines to taste at each classroom session
- Examination fees
- Internationally-recognised qualification certificate and pin for those who pass.
Course tutor: Jonny Gibson (Sussex Wine School Head Tutor)
*Note - By way of comparison, the fee for Wine Scholar Guild's tutored online course is currently $950, around £795 at latest exchange rates. The online format does not include wine tasting (we will be tasting around 40 wines) or the chance to ask questions or enjoy the benefits of a live classroom setting.
Receipt available on request- simply email us after your purchase
Flexible payment options are available on request. Please get in touch to discuss. Please note full payment is required before the course start date.
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'