The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification. Through a combination of tasting and theory you will explore the factors that impact the style and quality of wine and learn how to describe wines with confidence.
The 8 x 2-hour online classroom sessions are taught over 2 sessions each Sunday with a 1 hour break between;
- Sunday 25th July - 10am-12pm and 1-3pm
- Sunday 1st August - 10am-12pm and 1-3pm
- Sunday 8th August - 10am-12pm and 1-3pm
- Sunday 15th August - 10am -12pm and 1-3pm
Registration Deadline: Wednesday 21st July.
What the course covers
- Wine tasting: You will learn how to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and wine pairing: You will learn the principles of food and wine pairing
- Wine service and storage: You will learn the correct way to store and serve wine and how to recognise common faults found in wine
Labelling: You will learn how to decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the style of wine: You will explore how environmental factors, grape-growing, vineyard and maturation options influence the style and quality of the wines made all over the world
- Grape varieties: You'll learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international red and white grape varieties (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Syrah/Shiraz) as well as the styles of wines made with 22 regionally important grape varieties grown in 70 wine regions (GI's) around the world
- Sparkling and Fortified wines: You will be taught how grape varieties and winemaking processes influence the style of wines in these two key wine categories.
No prior wine knowledge is required however the course builds upon the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines course. It is not essential to complete Level 1 to join the Level 2 course but if you are a complete begineer you may wish to consider this option. We recommend you read the course specification document HERE for full details of the content, structure and assesment criteria. Any questions please get in touch.
- The Level 2 Award in Wines online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course and is delivered in LIVE interactive online lessons by one of our certified wine educators
- This course includes 16 hours online tuition in 8 x 2hr sessions and we recommend a minimum of 12 hours additional study
- Your tutor will give you a guided tasting of 12 wines on this course (for details of how to order the wines see below)
- You will receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course - FREE OF CHARGE
Please note a reliable broadband connection is essential for the completion of this online course as are basic computer skills.
To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. A mark of 55% is required to pass the exam.
The exam is taken online via a Remote Invigilation service giving you the flexibility to take the exam at a time and date of your choice. More details will be sent upon registration.
- All WSET course materials posted to you at no extra charge including: Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- LIVE virtual interactive sessions taught by a Local Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions provided FREE OF CHARGE
- WSET exam fee
- Remote Invigilation service
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification, certificate and pin for those who pass the exam
- VAT at 20% (VAT receipt can be provided on request)
It is recommended that at least 12 wines are tasted as part of this course, although this is optional and the cost of wines is not included in the course fee above.
Our wine experts have specially selected wines for this course designed to demonstrate specific learning outcomes. We have negotiated a discounted price only available to our online students. Details of how to order your case of wines will be provided when you book your place. The cost is approx £130 including VAT and delivery.
Wine preservation advice is give so that after each tasting exercise you can reseal and return to the wines over the coming days.
Special Educational Needs
Please make the school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.