The 8 x 2-hour online sessions run from 7-9pm each week, over 8 weeks.
- Wednesday 21st June, 28th June, 5th July, 12th July, 19th July, 26th July, 2nd August and 9th August - 7-9pm
This beginner to intermediate level qualification course provides a structured exploration of the world of wine and is suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts.
You do not have to first complete Level 1 - you can jump in straight at this level (Level 2) if you like.
Individuals on this course will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce. Through a combination of tasting and theory, candidates will explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe wines with confidence.
What the course covers
- Wine tasting: You will learn how to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and wine pairing: You will learn the principles of food and wine pairing
- Wine service and storage: You will learn the correct way to store and serve wine and how to recognise common faults found in wine
- Labelling: You will learn how to decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the style of wine: You will explore how environmental factors, grape-growing, vineyard and maturation options influence the style and quality of the wines made all over the world
- Grape varieties: You'll learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international red and white grape varieties (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Syrah/Shiraz) as well as the styles of wines made with 22 regionally important grape varieties grown in 70 wine regions (GI's) around the world
- Sparkling and Fortified wines: You will be taught how grape varieties and winemaking processes influence the style of wines in these two key wine categories
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
We recommend you read the course specification document before you book the course (read it by clicking here).
- The Level 2 Award in Wines online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course and is delivered in LIVE virtual lessons by one of our local wine school certified wine educators
- This course includes 16 hours of online tuition in 8 x 2hr sessions and we recommend a minimum of 12 hours of additional study
- Your tutor will give you a guided tasting of 12 wines on this course (for details of how to order the wines see below)
- You will receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course
- You will be sent details of how to join your LIVE sessions after you book
Please note a reliable broadband connection is essential for the completion of this online course as are basic computer skills.
To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 60 minutes. A mark of 55% is required to pass the exam, 70% to pass with merit and 85% to pass with distinction.
The exam may be taken at Sussex Wine School in class, dates to be agreed. Or we can offer an online exam for an additional £39. (please add the online exam if you wish to take the exam remotely)
Registration deadline: please book at least 5 days before the start of the course, to allow time to send materials and order the tasting wines.
The course fee includes
- All WSET course materials posted to you at no extra charge including: Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- LIVE virtual interactive sessions taught by a Local Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice multiple-choice questions
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification, certificate and pin for those who pass the exam
It is recommended that 12 wines be tasted as part of this course, although this is optional and not essential to complete the course. Please note that the cost of wine is not included in the course fee above.
Our wine experts have specially selected wines for this course aligned to demonstrate specific learning outcomes. They have even negotiated a specially discounted price only available to our online students.
The price of the 12-bottle case is around £145 including delivery to mainland UK. Details of how to order your case of wines will be provided around 10 days prior to your course starting.
Wine preservation advice is given so that after each tasting exercise you can reseal and return to the wines over the coming days.
Special Educational Needs
Please make the school aware if you have a condition that may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Local Wine Schools in the Press
'The best wine courses and classes in the UK'
'Londons loveliest wine tasting classes'