Become a certified Californian wine expert. Capstone California Wine courses offer wine enthusiasts and wine professionals a comprehensive guide to the Californian wines. These courses are now available in the UK for the first time.
The Capstone California wine program offers four levels of study - Introductory Level 1, Intermediate Level 2, Advance Level 3 and Expert Level 4. Each builds on the level prior, and covers history, lore, geography, climate, soils, grapes, viticulture, vinification, aging and maturation, wine laws, official classifications, producers, vintages and the business of wine.
Capstone California Course - Level 2
The Intermediate Level 2 course (students must already have passed Capstone Level 1 to join this course) is run over two teaching days - 10am to 3pm each day. There will be a break included for students to have lunch.
Course Dates: Sat 4th Nov 2023 and Sat 11th Nov 2023
You will taste 16 Californian wines over the course - 8 wines per day.
By the end of the Level 2 course candidates will be able to:
- Describe the most important events on timeline of California wine history including the mission era, post-gold rush, late 19th century, Prohibition, and the modern era.
- Explain the significance of five major figures in California wine history including Fr. Junipero Serra, Charles Wetmore, Charles Krug, and others.
- Show the location major rivers in California wine regions on a map including the Napa River, Russian River, and Salinas River.
- Show the location of important mountain ranges California wine regions on a map including the Coastal Range, Mayacamas Mountains, Vaca Range, and Santa Cruz.
- Describe the origins of alluvial, marl, and volcanic soil types.
- Explain these three different soil types vary in heat and water retention.
- Explain how these three soil types work well with certain grape varieties.
- Describe the grape variety profiles of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, in terms of where it is grown, benchmark wineries by area, and take a look at where else in the world these varieties are grown.
- Describe the grape variety profiles of Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir, in terms of where it is grown, benchmark wineries by area, and take a look at where else in the world these varieties are grown.
- Describe the grape variety profiles of Zinfandel, Merlot and Syrah, in terms of where it is grown, benchmark wineries by area, and take a look at where else in the world these varieties are grown.
- Explain the concept of the yearly life cycle of the vine.
- Define the terms associated with the yearly life cycle of the vine including flowering, bud break, véraison, trellising, pruning, green harvest, harvest timing, and more.
- Explain the basics of how white, rosé, and red wines are made.
- Describe practices taken to maintain sustainability.
- Explain the major differences between French, oak, American oak, and other major varieties of European oak.
- Describe how wine style is affected by the choice of oak.
- Write shorter profiles for primary AVA's in Lodi and the Delta, Mendocino County, Livermore Valley, San Luis Obispo County, Monterey County, and the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- List important wineries from the Wine Institute’s Grower & Winery Icons Living History.
- Explain how vintages vary from year to year depending on weather patterns and timing
- Describe in detail the three-tiered system in the U.S.
- List the information legally required on wine labels by federal law using several wine
- Identify legally required information on labels of sparkling, white, rose, red, and dessert
- Upon successful completion of an exam (which you are able to take online in your own time after attending the course), you will receive a Capstone California wine certificate and lapel pin and be ready to take the next course level.
Special Educational Needs: please make the wine school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.
Sussex Wine School is a partner of Capstone California in the UK and has adapted their online modular format qualifications to offer these as exciting and comprehensive in-person courses including wine tastings.
Tutor - Jonny Gibson