The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is the ideal starting point for anyone who is considering embarking on a professional career in the drinks industry or those with no little or prior experience of wine tasting or anyone wanting to improve and test their wine knowledge.
It is an enjoyable, relaxed and interactive course which is completed in a single day, including the 30 question multiple choice exam, making it easy to fit in with busy working schedules.
Topics covered include:
- What is wine and how is it made
- Key wine styles - still, sparkling fortified
- Wine types - dry, medium, sweet, body, tannin
- 8 principal grape varieties - Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah
- Examples of named wines - eg Cava, Sancerre, Chablis, Chateauneuf du Pape, Chianti and more
- Serving and storing wine
- Food and wine pairing
You can read more about the course specification here.
The Fee of £185 includes
- study book
- six wines to taste
- food & wine matching activities
- professional WSET tuition by WSET-Certified Tutor
- examination fees
- internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass
Please Note: bookings for this course must be received no later than Fri 31st Dec in order to complete the registration process which will allow students to take the exam on the day of the course. In certain circumstances we may be able to accept a late application for the course, but you should contact us in the first instance to see if we are able to make provisions.
Special Educational Needs: Please make the wine school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia. We need to know this at least 4 weeks in advance of the course date.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.