The 8-Week Introduction to the World of Wine Course is a fun, practical introduction to the wines of the world. It is designed specifically for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more about it. You do not need any previous experience, and the emphasis is on learning by tasting different varieties of wine. It is also a great way to meet new friends who share your love of wine. Through this course, you will also learn which wines you like and where to buy them as well as gain confidence navigating wine lists.
Week 1: Tour de France - the classic regions.
Week 2: Discover Italy!
Week 3: Explore Spain & Portugal.
Week 4: Discover Germany, Austria & England!
Week 5: Explore Australia & New Zealand
Week 6: Discover Chile & Argentina
Week 7: The Wines of South Africa & USA.
Week 8: Sparkling and Sweet Wines of the World.
Additionally, each week will cover other topics such as:
- Tasting skills, detecting different aromas and understanding wine labels
- Learning how wine is made including the use of oak and other winemaking techniques and practices
- Wine service best practices - serving temperatures & decanting
- Exploring supermarkets vs independent wine merchants
- Food & wine matching
- Understanding the importance of climate & weather in grape-growing
- Wine storage best practices
- Common wine faults
- And more!
Each evening will include: tasting samples of six carefully selected wines, light nibbles, full wine notes & handouts, a 2 hour interactive presentation, with Q&A, led by our wine expert.