This well-structured and in-depth Level 3 certificate is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain comprehensive knowledge of wines and build upon the knowledge gained at Intermediate level. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting as tasting will be part of the examinations. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification and provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
DAY-RELEASE SESSIONS - WHO ARE THEY DESIGNED FOR?
- We run Tuesday Day-Release sessions for those who would like to complete the course in 6 weeks.
- The sessions run for 7 to 8 hours, starting at 9am and finishing at approximately 4:30pm.
- There are 5 full sessions (every Tuesday) and an exam session, spread out over 6 weeks. This enables you to learn this very challenging syllabus. The final exam day is 10am - 2pm.
PLEASE NOTE: It is still very much recommended that the course textbook is read and the study guide completed before this course begins.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES:
Unit 1: The Theory of Wines of the World
- Learning Outcome 1: Identify the principal natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery that are involved in the production of still wines of the world and explain how they can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Learning Outcome 2: Identify and describe the characteristics of the still wines produced in the principal wine producing regions of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery, law and commerce can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Learning Outcome 3: Identify and describe the characteristics of the principal sparkling wines of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery, law and commerce can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Learning Outcome 4: Identify and describe the characteristics of the principal fortified wines of the world and explain how the key natural and human factors in the vineyard, winery and law can influence the style, quality and price of these wines.
- Learning Outcome 5: Demonstrate the ability to provide information and advice to customers and staff about wines.
Unit 2: The Analytical Tasting of Wine
- Learning Outcome 1: Accurately describe the key characteristics of the principal still wines of the world and use the description to make an assessment of quality and an assessment of readiness for drinking.
- Wine Tasting: Taste, describe and analyse wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching: A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Labelling: Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Wine Production: Learn about the production factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling
- Light Wines: Learn about the styles of wines produced in the key wine regions and districts of the world: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Greece, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, England and Wales
- Sparkling Wines: Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, New World - Australia, California, New Zealand, South Africa
- Fortified Wines: Learn about the methods of production/main styles of fortified wines from the key wine countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Australia
COURSE FEE INCLUDES
- Study Materials:
- Study pack - Students will receive the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines course study pack upon arrival to their first class at the school. The course study pack consists of the course text book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions and forms for your own tasting notes), course specification document and a laminated tasting card.
- Exclusive Access to Jimmy Smith's E-Learning Wine Online Revision Portal - through this online portal, students will gain access to over 60 educational videos, 750 multiple choice questions, mock exams, digital flashcards, online exercises, over 25 full short written mock exam questions and revision templates.
- Use of Professional ISO Tasting glasses - ISO glasses are designed to provider users with a standardised assessment for all types of wine. Use of ISO glasses during your lessons is included in the course fee. These will be set for you upon arrival to each class to use throughout the lesson. If you wish to continue your tasting practice outside of the classroom, you are able to purchase a supplemental set of 6 Wine With Jimmy ISO glasses. An option to add this to your course booking will be available in your basket. If you opt to purchase a supplemental set of ISO tasting glasses, these will be available for you to collect at your first class. Delivery can also be arranged upon request to UK addresses only - an additional delivery fee would apply.
- Examination: The WSET Level 3 examination is comprised of two units: Unit 1 is a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a four question short answer written section. Unit 2 is a blind tasting of two wines. A mark of 55% required in all sections to pass.
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
PLEASE NOTE: Students should note that this is a demanding course and are advised to select a study option that allows them adequate self-study and revision time. A minimum of 56 hours of study time is recommended IN ADDITION to classroom attendance.