Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications which are suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts. As an award-winning WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP), West London Wine School has been certified to offer this qualification as part of the UK's Qualifications and Credits Framework which is accredited by OfQual.
Who should consider studying for WSET Level 2?
This beginner to intermediate level qualification course provides a fantastic and structured exploration into the world of wines and is suitable for both industry professionals and wine enthusiasts alike. Attendees will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce around the world. Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
1. The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course is globally recognised vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who have little previous knowledge of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available. The qualification is suitable wherever a good level of product knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies.
2. The course is also a great option for those not employed in the drinks industry who wish to study wine using a structured curriculum and formal assessment. Please note: you do not need to have completed WSET Level 1 in order register for Level 2. The WSET Level 2 course is also a natural progression for those who have attended the West London Wine School 8-Week Introduction to the World of Wine course.
3. The course is an absolute must for anyone considering pursuing a career in the wine industry. Acheiving a good grade in this qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines course.
EVENING COURSES - WHO ARE THEY DESIGNED FOR?
- We run evening sessions for those who are unable to sacrifice a working day or a weekend.
- The sessions run for 2.5 hours, starting at 7pm
- There are 7 evening sessions. At the end of the final session is the exam.
Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties:
- Pinot Grigio/Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
COURSE DELIVERY AND MATERIALS
- Study Materials: Students will receive the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course study pack upon arrival at school. This consist of the course text book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated tasting card.
- Exclusive Access to Jimmy Smith's E-Learning Wine Revision Portal: This online revision portal includes hundreds of revision multiple choice and mock exam multiple choice questions, flashcards, revision templates, exercises and videos.
- Recommended Private Study: You should be prepared to dedicate a minimum of 14 hours to study time outside of the classroom.
- Examination: 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass.
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Evening 1 of the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course at West London Wine School.
Evening 2 of the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course at West London Wine School.
Evening 3 of the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course at West London Wine School.
Evening 4 of the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course at West London Wine School.
Evening 5 of the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course at West London Wine School.
Evening 6 of the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course at West London Wine School.f
EXAM - WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course