The Spanish Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French and Italian Wine Scholar™ programmes.
Individuals who follow this in-depth curriculum and pass the exam earn the Spanish Wine Scholar title and the SWS post-nominal which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g. John Smith, SWS).
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE SPANISH WINE SCHOLAR (SWS) COURSE?
- SWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of Spain.
- SWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 as an perfect supplement
- SWS is also ideal for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the Spanish wine industry
No previous experience of examined Wine Tasting is necessary to register on this course.
The Spanish Wine Scholar curriculum is comprised of seven 2 1/2 hour classes and a final exam usually held on the same evening each week over 8 consecutive weeks. All students receive a comprehensive study book as well as access to the fantastic interactive E-Learning Modules, and an average of 8-12 wines will be tasted per class with some matching with typical regional foods.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines from key Spain regions
- Regional Food and Wine Matching: An informal guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve key Spanish wines
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from ALL the Spanish grape varieties
- Regions: Full immersion in ALL the Spanish wine regions including: Green Spain, the Duero River Valley, La Rioja, the Ebro River Valley, Cataluna, Central Mediterranean Coasts, the Meseta, Andalucia & the Islands.
- Number of Wines Tasted: 80+ wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials: Students will receive the Spanish Wine Scholar Study Manual, a comprehensive guide to ALL Spanish wine
- Additional Materials: Students will have access to a complete E-Learning Package including multimedia modules with webinars on regional wine styles, review quizzes, forums, downloadable maps & etc.
- Duration of Course: 8 evenings inclusive of examination on the final session. Taught lessons will last from 7pm until 9:30pm
- Examination: 100 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes. A mark of 75% required to pass.
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.