The Level 3 Award in Wines is a course designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and build upon the knowledge gained at Intermediate level. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations. WSET Level 3 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification.
This course is delivered ONLINE over fourteen weeks with a minimum of 80 hours total study (including LIVE virtual lessons) recommended to successfully complete the course. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
PLEASE NOTE: The course fee includes a tasting kit of 50ml samples of all wines tasted on the course (over 60 in total). Students are able to book onto the course without receiving wine samples for a reduced fee. Please read below for more information about course wine options.
The Level 3 Award in Wines Online covers the same syllabus as the classroom course, but through a supported Online Classroom which allows you to study alongside your peers under the guidance of a dedicated educator.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course fee includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
What’s Covered on the Course:
Through a combination of tasting and theory, you’ll explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe these wines with confidence.
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
- The key characteristics of the principal:
- still wines of the world
- sparkling wines of the world
- fortified wines of the world
- How to make appropriate wine recommendations
- How to taste wines using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
Successful candidates will be able to taste and describe with confidence the characteristics of the principal wines of the world and give information on the key factors influencing style, quality and price. Those who work with wine will be in a great position to advise management, to answer customer queries authoritatively, and to make informed selections of wines in a variety of situations.
The Level 3 Award in Wines is designed to build on a solid foundation of knowledge, equivalent to that which is gained through Level 2 Award in Wines (previously known as the Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits). For this reason, the course is recommended to students who have achieved the WSET Level 2 qualification, however this qualification isn't a requirement to enrol onto this course.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
The course is delivered online and in English therefore basic computer literacy, internet navigation skills and a good level of English are required. Additionally, the course assessment requires your answers to be hand-written, therefore a good level of written and spoken English is very beneficial.
A course study pack will be posted to you upon booking for this course (your preferred postal address will be confirmed before materials are posted out). It is highly recommended that the course textbook is read prior to the start of the course if possible.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Tuesday 29th March 2021 at 4pm: Registration Deadline (Note: Tasting kit delivery cannot be guaranteed prior to the first class for bookings received within 3 working days of the course start date).
VIRTUAL CLASSROOM DATES:
- Tuesday 29th March 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:45pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 5th April 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:45pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 12th April 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:45pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 19th April 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:45pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 26th April 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:45pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 3rd May 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:45pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 10th May 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:45pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 17th May 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: 8th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 24th May 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: 9th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 31st May 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: 10th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 7th June 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: 11th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 14th June 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: 12th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 21st June 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: 13th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 28th June 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: 14th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Tuesday 5th July 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:45pm: Tasting Revision Session
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
IN-PERSON EXAM DATE:
- EXAM - Sunday 10th July 2022 at 11am: To obtain the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass an IN-PERSON exam that is made up of two components. The Theory Exam (50 multiple-choice questions and 4 comprehensive short written questions) and the Tasting Exam (blind assessment of two wines). You must achieve at least 55% on both the Theory exam and the Tasting exam to pass the exam. Please see below for options if a different exam date is preferred.
WHAT IF I CAN'T ATTEND A LIVE SESSION?
Don't worry! All live sessions are recorded and you will be able to access recordings of each session securely via the E-Learning Wine portal. This means that you can catch up on any lesson at any time.
- The course will have 15 full LIVE virtual taught lessons with an award-winning West London Wine School tutor. These lesson times are reflected above in the course schedule.
- The course tutor will additionally host zoom face-to-face sessions each week after each lesson to further answer any in-depth questions students may have during their revisions.
- Enrolled students will receive exclusive access to West London Wine School Founder and Chief Educator Jimmy Smith’s Online Revision Portal: E-Learning Wine. This portal contains hundreds of multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course as well as other revision tools such as short written mock exam questions, revision exercises, flashcards, study templates and useful videos.
- Students will be asked to confirm their preferred exam date upon enrolment: Sunday 10th July 2022 . If they would like to sit the exam on a different, later date, this can also be arranged after enrolment provided that students inform West London Wine School in writing no later than 15 working days prior to Saturday 26th September 2021.
The Course Fee of £795 Includes:
- Tasting kit containing 50ml samples of each wine tasted on the course (over 60 in total). For more information about the tasting kits, please see below.
- Course study pack (students can choose to either receive a physical pack in the post or a digital copy accessible online. Please note that if you require a physical booklet to be sent outside the UK, an international delivery fee of £25 is applied. Alternatively you can receive access to a digital copy at no extra costs.)
- Access to 'LIVE' virtual taught lessons taught by a West London Wine School WSET Certified Tutor (and access to the recordings of each of these lessons)
- Exclusive access to Jimmy Smith’s ‘E-Learning Wine’ online revision platform
- Professional WSET tuition
- Exam & all related examination fees
- Internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass the in-person exam
For this course, students will receive a tasting kit with 50ml samples of the wines tasted throughout the duration of this course. These tasting kits will be delivered in multiple segments.
- Tasting kit delivery can be made to anywhere within the UK. If you are interested in receiving the tasting kit, however the delivery address is not within the UK, please get in touch BEFORE booking as depending where you are located, we may be able to still arrange delivery for an additional fee.
- If you do NOT want to receive a tasting kit, and just want to book onto the course without receiving wine samples – NO PROBLEM! Please just enter the code WSETL3REG as a ‘Promotional Code’ upon checking out, and the tasting kit associated fees on this course will be removed before you make course payment.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
VAT Receipt available on request - simply email us after your purchase.