The Spanish Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French and Italian Wine Scholar™ programmes.
Individuals who follow this in-depth curriculum and pass the exam earn the Spanish Wine Scholar title and the SWS post-nominal which may be incorporated into a professional signature (e.g. John Smith, SWS).
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE SPANISH WINE SCHOLAR (SWS) COURSE?
- SWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of Spain.
- SWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 as an perfect supplement
- SWS is also ideal for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the Spanish wine industry
This course is delivered ONLINE over seven weeks. Regular internet access and participation is essential. There is an in-person exam at the end of the course that will occur at the West London Wine School venue in Fulham, West London.
No previous experience of examined Wine Tasting is necessary to register on this course.
- The Spanish Wine Scholar curriculum is comprised of seven ONLINE x 2.5 hour classes
- There is an additional eighth evening which is the examination evening (Note: the exam is held IN-PERSON at West London Wine School)
- A minimum of 6 wines will be tasted per class (delivered to students in 50ml samples). More information on the course wine delivery can be found below.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines from key Spain regions
- Regional Food and Wine Matching: An informal guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve key Spanish wines
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from ALL the Spanish grape varieties
- Regions: Full immersion in ALL the Spanish wine regions including: Green Spain, the Duero River Valley, La Rioja, the Ebro River Valley, Cataluna, Central Mediterranean Coasts, the Meseta, Andalucia & the Islands.
- Study Materials: Students will receive the Spanish Wine Scholar Study Manual, a comprehensive guide to ALL Spanish wine
- Additional Materials: Students will have access to a complete E-Learning Package including multimedia modules with webinars on regional wine styles, review quizzes, forums, downloadable maps & etc.
- Duration of Course: 8 evenings inclusive of examination on the final session. Taught online lessons will last from 7pm until 9:30pm
- Examination: 100 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes. A mark of 75% required to pass.
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
PLEASE NOTE: The course fee includes a tasting kit of 50ml samples of all wines tasted on the course. Students are able to book onto the course without receiving wine samples for a reduced fee. Please read below for more information about course wine options.
The Spanish Wine Scholar Online Course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course fee includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Monday 28th February 2022 at 4pm: Registration Deadline (Please note: tasting kit delivery may occur after the first lesson for all bookings made less than 4 working days ahead of course start date).
- Monday 28th February 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 7th March 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 14th March 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 21st March 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 28th March 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 4th April 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 11th April 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session
- In-Person EXAM: Wednesday 20th April 2022 at 7:00pm - 8:00pm
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
WHAT IF I CAN'T ATTEND A LIVE SESSION?
Don't worry! All live sessions are recorded and you will be able to access recordings of each session securely via the E-Learning Wine portal. This means that you can catch up on any lesson at any time.
For this course, students will receive a tasting kit with 50ml samples of the wines tasted throughout the duration of this course. These tasting kits will be delivered in multiple segments throughout the course.
- Tasting kit delivery can be made to anywhere within the UK. If you are interested in receiving the tasting kit, however the delivery address is not within the UK, please get in touch BEFORE booking as depending where you are located, we may be able to still arrange delivery for an additional fee.
- If you do NOT want to receive a tasting kit, and just want to book onto the course without receiving wine samples – NO PROBLEM! Please just enter the code SCHOLARSPAINREG as a ‘Promotional Code’ upon checking out, and the tasting kit associated fees on this course will be removed before you make course payment.
The course fee includes:
- Wine sample tasting kit containing all wines tasted throughout the course
- A comprehensive study manual which also serves as reference book (Please note: that if delivery of the study manual is requested to an address outside of the UK, an international delivery fee will be payable.)
- Learning objectives for each region
- Interactive online study modules for each region (link)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Pronunciation exercises
- Access to live and recorded review webinars
- Professional tuition by Wine Scholar Guild certified tutor
- Examination fees (NOTE: Exam is in-person at West London Wine School)
- Internationally-recognised qualification certificate and pin for those who pass.