WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE FWS COURSE?
- FWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of France.
- FWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 as an ideal supplement
- FWS is also ideal for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the French wine industry
West London Wine School was awarded the French Wine Scholar Programme Provider of the Year in 2017!
- The French Wine Scholar curriculum is comprised of nine ONLINE 2 1/2 hour classes held on the same evening over consecutive weeks
- All students receive a study book as well as access to the fantastic course E-Learning Modules
- There is an additional tenth evening on which is the examination occurs. (Note: the exam in held IN-PERSON at West London Wine School)
- A minimum of 6 wines will be tasted per class
This course is delivered ONLINE over nine weeks. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
PLEASE NOTE: The course fee includes a tasting kit of 50ml samples of all wines tasted on the course. Students are able to book onto the course without receiving wine samples for a reduced fee. Please read below for more information about course wine options.
The French Wine Scholar Online Course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course fee includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Tuesday 16th March 2021 at 4pm: Registration Deadline
- Tuesday 16th March 2021 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session - Introduction & Alsace
- Tuesday 23rd March 2021 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session - Champagne
- Tuesday 30th March 2021 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session - Burgundy
- Tuesday 6th April 2021 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session - Beaujolais
- Tuesday 13th April 2021 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session - The Loire
- Tuesday 20th April 2021 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session - Jura, Savoie, South-West France
- Tuesday 27th April 2021 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session - Languedoc, Roussillon, Provence, Corsica
- Tuesday 4th May 2021 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 8th LIVE virtual classroom session - Bordeaux
- Tuesday 11th May 2021 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 9th LIVE virtual classroom session - The Rhone
- Tuesday 18th May 2021 at 7:00pm - 8:00pm: In-Person Exam
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
WHAT IF I CAN'T ATTEND A LIVE SESSION?
Don't worry! All live sessions are recorded and you will be able to access recordings of each session. This means that you can catch up on any lesson at any time.
For this course, students will receive a tasting kits with 50ml samples of the wines tasted throughout the duration of this course. These tasting kits will be delivered weekly. Note that the Champagne lesson will include larger samples of 3x key styles.
- Tasting kit deliveries can be made to anywhere within the UK. If you are interested in receiving the tasting kit, however the delivery address is not within the UK, please get in touch BEFORE booking as depending where you are located, we may be able to still arrange delivery for an additional fee.
- If you do NOT want to receive a tasting kit, and just want to book onto the course without receiving wine samples – NO PROBLEM! Please just enter the code SCHOLARFWSREG as a ‘Promotional Code’ upon checking out, and the tasting kit associated fees on this course will be removed before you make course payment. Course fee without wine samples is £595.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines from key French regions
- Regional Food and Wine Matching: An informal guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve key French wines
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from ALL the French grape varieties
- Regions: Full immersion in ALL the French wine regions; Alsace, Champagne, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Jura, Savoie, Loire, Bordeaux, Languedoc-Roussillon, Rhone, Southwest, Provence and Corsica
- Study Materials: Students will receive the French Wine Scholar Study Manual, a comprehensive guide to ALL French wine
- Additional Materials: Students will have access to a complete E-Learning Package. There are 20 multimedia modules with webinars on regional wine styles, review quizzes, forums, downloadable maps & etc.
- Duration of course: 9 evenings of taught lessons. Online lessons will last from 7pm until 9:30pm
- Examination: 100 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 60 minutes. A mark of 75% required to pass. NOTE: The exam occurs IN-PERSON at West London Wine School.
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.