This programme was created by native Italian, Maurizio Broggi, DWS, FWS with the support of the Italian wine DOC/G consortia. The Italian Wine Scholar™ study program mirrors the unparalleled level of depth, accuracy, detail and academic rigor offered by the acclaimed French Wine Scholar™ program. Like the French Wine Scholar program, the Italian Wine Scholar study and certification program also confers a post-nominal to wine professionals and enthusiasts who successfully pass the certification exams (Ex: John Smith, IWS).
The Italian Wine Scholar course is composed of two separate units:
- Unit 1: The Wines of Northern Italy
- Unit 2: The Wines of Central & Southern Italy
- There will be two separate study manuals and two separate exams. The Italian Wine Scholar™ credential/pin is based on the final composite score (Unit 1&2). This format makes it much easier to retain information and to pass the exam. Students register for each unit separately.
IMPORTANT: You do not need to attend Unit 1 before attending Unit 2 - these course units can be completed in any order.
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER STUDYING THE IWS COURSE?
- IWS is designed to test for proficiency in ALL the wines and wine regions of Italy.
- IWS is ideal for those currently studying or completed WSET Level 3 and Level 4 Diploma as an ideal supplement
- IWS is also ideal for sommeliers, importers and distributors and for those who hold an enthusiastic interest for the Italian wine industry
- The Italian Wine Scholar Unit 2 curriculum is comprised of seven ONLINE x 2.5 hour classes
- There is an additional eigth evening which is the examination evening (Note: the exam in held IN-PERSON at West London Wine School)
- A minimum of 8 wines will be tasted per class
This course is delivered ONLINE over seven weeks. Regular internet access and participation is essential.
PLEASE NOTE: The course fee includes a tasting kit of 50ml samples of all wines tasted on the course. Students are able to book onto the course without receiving wine samples for a reduced fee. Please read below for more information about course wine options.
The Italian Wine Scholar - Unit 1 Online Course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course.
Please note that the exam is completed in person and not online. The course fee includes an attended examination at West London Wine School.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Monday 10th October at 4pm: Registration Deadline (Please note: any bookings made within 3 working days of the first lesson may not receive their course materials ahead of the first class)
- Monday 10th October 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 1st LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 17th October 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 2nd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 24th October 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 3rd LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 31st October 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 4th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Mnday 7th November 2022 at 7:00pm – 9:30pm: 5th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 14th November 2022 at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 6th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 21st November at 7:00pm - 9:30pm: 7th LIVE virtual classroom session
- Monday 5th December at 7:00pm - 8:00pm: In-Person Exam
- NOTE: All live virtual sessions will be recorded, so if you are unable to attend one of the sessions above as planned, you can revisit the lesson in your own time.
WHAT IF I CAN'T ATTEND A LIVE SESSION?
Don't worry! All live sessions are recorded and you will be able to access recordings of each session. This means that you can catch up on any lesson at any time.
For this course, students will receive a tasting kits with 50ml samples of the wines tasted throughout the duration of this course. These tasting kits will be delivered weekly.
- Tasting kit deliveries can be made to anywhere within the UK. Currently deliveries to outside the UK are not available.
- If you do NOT want to receive a tasting kit, and just want to book onto the course without receiving wine samples – NO PROBLEM! Please just enter the code SCHOLARITREG as a ‘Promotional Code’ upon checking out, and the tasting kit associated fees on this course will be removed before you make course payment. Course fee without wine samples is £525.
The course fee includes:
- Wine sample tasting kit containing all wines tasted throughout the course
- A comprehensive study manual which also serves as reference book
- Learning objectives for each region
- Interactive online study modules for each region (link)
- Online quizzes and learning games for self-evaluation
- Pronunciation exercises
- Access to live and recorded review webinars with Maurizio Broggi, Education Director for Italy
- Professional tuition by Wine Scholar Guild certified tutor
- Examination fees (NOTE: Exam is in-person at West London Wine School)
- Internationally-recognised qualification certificate and pin for those who pass both units of the course.